Most of us have been guilty of overindulging on desserts, alcohol and carb-full meals this holiday season, with many looking for quick ways to lose those extra pounds and get back to shape.
If you’re after some tips, here are five healthy, flavourful meals that you can make to help you back on that journey. Interchange ingredients to give you variety and stick to this diet (with a workout plan) for weight loss results.
Breakfast – Mango smoothie
1½ cups low-fat natural yoghurt
1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
2 tbsp honey
¼ tsp cinnamon
3 cups low-fat milk
- Combine all ingredients together in a blender.
Kick start your day with this healthy smoothie, which can be prepared in just 10 minutes. What’s versatile about a smoothie is that you can replace the ingredients with seasonal fruits and vegetables – be it mixed berries, kale and spinach, or bananas. You can also choose to add more/less milk depending on your desired consistency thickness.
Snack – Savoury toastie
4 small button mushrooms, finely chopped
¼ cup sundried tomatoes
¼ cup low-fat feta cheese, crumbed
Handful of leaves – spinach or rocket, washed and chopped
4 slices wholegrain bread
Olive or canola oil spray
- Sautee mushrooms with sundried tomatoes
- Combine sauteed mixture with spinach and crumbed feta
- Lightly spray sandwich maker with oil. Place two slices of bread on the base of the sandwich maker then divide the filling over the two slices. Top with remaining slices of bread and toast until heated through and golden brown.
This snack can be made with multiple variations, for example, by replacing spinach and mushrooms with other vegetables, such as Chinese cabbage or chopped capsicum. You can also change it up with your favourite cheese.
Lunch – Beef koftas
500g beef mince
1 small onion, grated or chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh continental parsley or coriander
1 tsp minced garlic
1½ tsp ground cumin
1½ tsp ground coriander seeds
¼ tsp chilli powder (if you’re after some heat)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Divide the mixture into 12 portions and roll it into meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, over medium heat.
- Add in the koftas and cook, turning occasionally until golden brown and cooked through.
Koftas are versatile – you can have them with soup, pita breads, salads, or even rice. This recipe takes about 25 minutes to prepare and cook. Balance them out with a serving of vegetables.
Dinner – Fish stir-fry
500g boneless and skinless white fish fillets
3 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp grapeseed oil
2cm piece ginger, grated
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp chilli flakes
250g button mushrooms, quartered
150g oyster mushrooms, halved
1 bunch of any asian leafy greens (chye sim or bok choy), quartered
2 tsp sesame oil
- Cut fish into slices and combine with grated ginger
- Add grapeseed oil and sesame oil into a pan or wok and once oil heats, add in the fish-ginger combination.
- Add in pepper, chilli flakes and mushrooms, then stir for two minutes.
- The asian leafy greens go in straight after, along with the oyster sauce.
- Stir-fry to combine and once greens and fish are cooked through, spoon onto a serving plate.
This meal can be cooked in 20 minutes. Have it with a serving of brown rice or your pick of Asian noodles. This recipe also works well with chicken or pork.