Poke Bowls are the hottest trend on the urban cafe scene since the introduction of Acai bowls.
This Hawaiian inspired raw fish salad is annunciated as Poh-Kay. Poke being the Hawaiian word for slice or cut and refers to the way it traditionally includes diced raw fish served with soy sauce, spring onions, seaweed and sesame oil. Optional extras may include chilli pepper and wasabi.
High in protein, low-fat and low carbs unless of course you add rice and mayo, Poke bowls are chock full of heart-protecting Omega-3 fatty acids which help improve blood pressure and other heart disease risk factors.
Poke delivers those important heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s help to protect your heart and reduce the risk of death from heart disease by lowering your blood pressure and heart rate and improving other cardiovascular risk factors.
It’s also proving popular because it literally takes just a few minute to prepare. All you have to do it dice up fresh fish (Salmon, tuna), greens and a combination of your favourite spices. Presto! Dinner is served.
Why not try it for a Poke bowl tonight?
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon black or white sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 450 grams salmon, cubed
- 2-3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 avocado
- Optional extras: Cooked brown rice, at room temperature (optional), Seaweed salad, pickled ginger, cucumber, zucchini flowers, red onion
- Mix together rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and soy sauce
- Dice, slice or chopped other ingredients except for sesame seeds and chilli flakes
- Plonk into a bowl, drizzle with dressing, garnish with sesame seeds and chilli flake DONE!